Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Updates not getting installed during build & capture task sequence

I have seen quite some CM admins struggling with getting the microsoft/windows updates installed during a build and capture TS. Recently I also faced this problem. I was trying to update my win2k8r2 wim image with the latest OS updates. Unfortunately the update part of my TS was not working anymore. It would not find any updates. Deployment of an image would get stuck on downloading updates with 0%). There are a variety of solutions available (KB2509007, SLP, publish default MP to DNS, refresh compliance state, etc.) on the internet however none of these were working for me. Log files on the client showed it was finding the management point for the site code. Log files also show there was a problem with getting the domain policy (gpo) for windows updates. To make a long story short, I changed the join domain account under Apply Network Settings in my TS. It still had an old account set which probably didn't have enough permissions to join the domain. Once I recreated my virtual machine and run my build & capture TS again the updates were finally getting installed. (And some might think I am not using SLP or don't have the default MP published to DNS, but this is not the case!)
Hope it might help others!

No comments:

Post a Comment